This is me calling the Createspace Support Representative about my book pricing options.
This is me finding out that I’m going to be making -$2.13 for a book that’s $4.99
This is me afterwards, because now I have to set my paperback book at a higher price! WTF?!
I’m so sorry folks! After yesterday’s very long speech about self-publishing and all that, I thought I was ready to go and order those proofs. I had just received Nicoy’s beautiful drawing! IT IS AMAZING!! I was about to get a free ISBN # from Createspace, but the thought of not having any options of a secondary publisher bothered me a lot.
I wanted my freedom, badly. If my book’s a success and gets picked up, I’d like to be able to go somewhere else. If God forbid, my book gets banned, at least I can go somewhere else and publish it, whether it’s traditional or not. So, I’ve decided to buy my own ISBN #’s and a barcode for $275 dollars at Bowker/Identifier Services.
Now, for the horrible bad news. In order to make any kind of royalty off my book, I have to raise the price of my paperback trade book to $9.99 to get at least $.87 cents in return per book. If I set this book to $4.99 which is what I was trying to go for… to get more people to buy it, I’ll be making -$2.13. NEGATIVE $2.13 dollars!
How the hell is that possible?! Didn’t Createspace (just read their contract/guidelines) tell me that I can set the price of my books at any time? So, why the hell are they taking about $7.00-$8 dollars out of a $4.99 book?! Yes, I know they get 20-30% and you as the author get the remaining 70%. I’m so pissed off right now.
I had researched them so much and for so long… this is like a WTF moment. Apparently, I was using the wrong calculator, but seriously folks. Does this make any sense? -$2 dollars… how is that even possible? If I even raised it to $6.99 I could only use my E-Store site and make $.47 per book. Really?! I can’t sell through Amazon.com unless it’s $9.99 and over. The ebook for Kindle will still remain $2.99 (Thank God!), but if I decide to make it less I’ll have to make another ebook for the ISBN #’s are meant for one price and one book alone, which sucks. Either I just put myself in a wonderful little corner of shame or this is just my worst luck!
Anyway, I apologize for any inconvenience I have caused. It’ll still be awhile until I can order the proofs. I have so much to figure out (my brain is overloading!) and I haven’t eaten all day because of talking to Customer Service for God knows how long. I have no choice but to make this book $9.99… and that’s it!! 😦 This is a disaster. A Nightmare. I’m not budging that price at all. $9.99 is final!
I will still continue to self-publish, but I’ll be trying to get the kindle version out a lot quicker now for those who want to read it. Kindle price is still $2.99 no matter if the world comes to an end tomorrow, it will remain the same. It just sucks when I feel cheated by a system that I thought would be perfect to sell my book through. Boy, was I so wrong!
Anyway, thank you for even reading this and I’ll let you know what my progress is. Sorry once again! At least one thing’s for sure is to learn from my mistakes. You guys will just have to wait a bit longer until I can figure out what to do right now.