Well, no one said it would be easy…
I’ll be working another 9 days straight at my job. I already killed myself on the interior of the graphic novel all week. Man, is it complicated!
I don’t think I’ve seen anything this complicated before. Learning about full color with bleed is good to know, but image resolution seems to be my biggest problem.
I didn’t understand why I kept getting a low DPI resolution for the interior page, especially Page 4. It was killing me. Folks, I was at the end of my rope, so I set the DPI for like 900. At the highest resolution possible. I need to keep a record of this for future generations. 900 DPI!
And guess what? It finally worked!
I had revised page 4 like a million times, since Createspace was telling me the resolution was way too low for printing and might cause blurry images.
I spent all night and this morning, reading guides on Adobe Indesign, bleeds, how to enhance images, how to use photoshop CS2 to fix a title image.
It all paid off in the end. At first, nothing seemed to work for me. All the other images in the first few pages are just fine. I can’t understand why page 4 was giving me so many problems, but it had something to do with the font style design. I don’t know if I’ll go back and make any other changes. Quite frankly, I’m a bit scared to mess it up now.
ANOTHER IMPORTANT THING…
I have yet to decide exactly what I’m going to write about in this graphic novel. Still figuring out a script for the whole darn thing. At least I have down the basics. It’ll be 60 pages with both color and black/white images. Had a few ideas. At first I wanted multiple stories, but I’m thinking about doing one story for now… just to be on the safe side.
Eventually, if I do decide to continue I may have 2-3 multiple storylines eventually and merge them all into one. There will be a lot of going back and forth with the flashblacks as well.